This research scholar programme targets young graduates who are keen on enhancing their research skills by providing them with practical experience and training in research and development at @iLabAfrica, Strathmore University.
The research scholar will also qualify for a scholarship to enrol for the selected Master of Science degrees offered at @iLabAfrica.
The @iLabAfrica research scholar programme targets individuals who meet the following criteria:
- Holders of First Class or Upper Second Class Honours degrees in a Computer Science, Information Technology, Business Information Technology, Electrical Engineering or IT related discipline from recognised universities; or,
- Holders of other related qualifications from recognised universities, considered by the Academic Council as equivalent to a First Class or Upper Second Class degree in Computer Science or IT discipline.
- Possess excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Have interpersonal/human relation skills.
- Have the ability to:
a. Follow oral and written instructions.
b. Work as part of a team
c. Perform tasks assigned diligently and confidently.
@iLabAfrica Scholars will experience the following
- Earn real industry experience working (8.30am -5.30pm) in one of the units under @iLabAfrica.
- Awarded a full scholarship for a Master degree that runs in the evening (5:30 pm – 8:30 pm) in one of the following disciplines:
a. MSc. Information Systems Security.
b. MSc. Data Science.
c. MSc. Spectrum Management.
- A stipend of Ksh. 10,000 per month.
- A meal allowance issued at the University cafeteria.
- Scholars will be provided with:
a. A research supervisor that will direct their work.
b.Training and practical experience in scientific research and relevant software.
c. Training on writing research proposals and grant applications.
d.Exposure and collaboration with other tech hubs as well as attending international conferences.
- An opportunity to enter into paid employment with the University if the scholar manages to submit successful research proposals that attract adequate funding, or, if the scholar is engaged in a funded programme.
- On successful completion of the Master of Science degree course, the scholar might be offered a teaching or research position at the University and/or the possibility of continuing further studies to PhD level.
Individuals shortlisted for this programme have the following responsibilities:
- Attend evening classes of the Master of Science degree course and maintain a pass grade.
- Attend all classes; submit all projects, CATs and assignments as required in the Master of Science degree course.
- Publish research based on course work done in the Master of Science degree course.
- Carry out research work, prepare request for funding proposals and other related work as directed by the research supervisor.
a. If the request for funding is successful, the graduate may be offered a salary as per the terms of the research budget.
b. If the graduate is engaged in one of @iLabAfrica’s funded projects, s/he can receive a salary based on the project budget.
- Perform other clerical duties as may be required.
Application Deadline: April 22nd 2020.
Interested candidates should send their curriculum vitae, cover letter and copy of undergraduate degree certificate to email@example.com
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Note: This Scholarship does not make you an employee of @iLabAfrica or Strathmore University.